Snippets loading from file

Christoph Cullmann christoph at cullmann.io
Sun Jul 25 10:47:39 BST 2021

On 2021-07-25 06:50, Simon Walter wrote:
> On 7/25/21 10:57 AM, Alex Turbov wrote:
>> On Sun, Jul 25, 2021 at 1:45 AM Christoph Cullmann
>> <christoph at cullmann.io <mailto:christoph at cullmann.io>> wrote:
>>
>>     On 2021-07-24 14:12, Simon Walter wrote:
>>      > Hi all,
>>      >
>>      > I'd like to be able to, load snippets from file.
>>      >
>>      > The reason is that I'd like to be able to keep snippets in the
>>      > project's
>>      > git repo.
>>      >
>>      > From what I can tell, it looks like I can only load from "Get
>> Hot New
>>      > Stuff" API. Is that the case?
>>
>>     Hi,
>>
>>     yes, I think you are right.
>>
>>     For the local stuff you could version the files stored in the
>> default
>>     locations
>>     but at the moment there is no way to e.g. have per project
>> snippets
>>     or to load them from dedicated positions.
>>
>>     e.g. for project related snippets it could make sense to integrate
>>     the snippets plugin like the search plugin with our projects
>> plugin
>>     and load stuff stored project locally automatically or allow
>>     to specify in .kateproject json where to load stuff from.
>> > Please Noooo! I use the snippets plugin intensively and **NEVER** use
>> the project plugin.
>>

> To clarify, I don't mean the project plugin. I used the word "project"
> in a generic sense.
>
> However, that will not put you at ease if you think that adding a
> feature will remove other features. I do have sympathy and can imagine
> why you might think that.
>
> Recent trends demand the user to conform to the developer's whims
> rather than the developer respecting the user, tradition, standards,
> APIs, standing on shoulders, etc. I'm not sure why open source
> developers feel the need to mimic this destructive behavior of jerking
> around their users. I wish I had all the features that I had back in
> 1999. I could literally do more with my computer back then.

For Alex: please take a look how that integration is done in the search
plugin.

If you have no project plugin loaded, nothing changes for you.
(and for sure nothing is removed)

If you have the project plugin loaded, the search plugin just provides
"extra" features,
the search in project.

If the same is done for other plugins, I don't see any harm, you will
not see any change and people using the project stuff will benefit.