AW: Best way to create and develop a kate syntax highlighting file

rhkramer at gmail.com rhkramer at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 12:12:11 BST 2020

On Tuesday, September 29, 2020 03:45:23 AM Andreas Plank wrote:
> > rhkramer at gmail.com
> > I would look for another language that is similar to SPARQL which has a(n
> > XML)
> > syntax highlighter for kate and modify it.

> sure, I did this ;-) but regarding the extensive KSyntaxHighlighting
> attributes and elements is there a smart way to edit with? I mean an editor
> tool or text snippet tools or even a list of definitions? I saw and read
> the api of KSyntaxHighlighting and I guess I have to extract
> KSyntaxHighlighting elements or attributes on my own.
>
> It would be nice to have a tool to start with like Notepad++ has for
> creating syntax highlighting files ;-)

Sorry, I don't know.

It was quite a few years ago (10+, maybe even 15) when I made the syntax
highlighting XML file that I needed.  At the time, I didn't find anything better
than just using an editor and learning the rules required.

I don't keep up with all the latest things in kate (or even the latest
version) -- I primarily use version 3.8.4 (on KDE 4.8.4 on Debian Wheezy).

I hope somebody more familiar with things will be aware of a better tool.

I will say that (for me) doing it the way I did was not terribly difficult,
especially compared to one of the ways that it could be done for Scintilla,
that is, writing it in C++ code (an alternative is to write it in Lua code
(for Scintilla).