Is it possible to release a installation package which does not require KDE installation?

Christoph Cullmann christoph at cullmann.io
Mon Jan 13 08:08:48 GMT 2020

On 2020-01-11 01:01, Kevin Gao wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> My machine is not powerful. I generally use XFCE instead of KDE.
>
> "sudo apt install kate" on Xubuntu requires KDE core lib installation,
> which is very big
>
> Is it possible to release a installation package which does not
> require KDE installation? (Maybe link KDE lib statically)
>
> Kdiff3 is an example.  "sudo apt install kate"  on Xubuntu requires
> KDE core lib installation too.
>
> But Kdiff3 has a much smaller package, named kdiff3-qt, which is very
> convenient for none KDE user. I guess  kdiff3-qt links KDE lib
> statically.

Hi,

no, that is not really possible, sorry.

If we start to link statically (which is not easily possible), it will
not solve your size
issue, as then just all the things are inside the Kate package and are
not even shared with
other packages.

Actually I think the KDE packages we require are not that large
actually, compared to
the Qt stuff we need anyways.