D17971: Revive External Tools plugin

Dominik Haumann noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Feb 4 13:54:46 GMT 2019

dhaumann added a comment.

  @gregormi

  - Output "Replace Current Document": works fine. Idea: restore cursor position after operation.
    - Given the document usually changed afterwards, "restoring the cursor position" is pretty much undefined, and almost never correct...
  - Display in Pane: Working on it
  - Make tools available by default: I don't want to clutter the user with hundreds of tools. That's why I proposed the "Template". In general, I am not a big fan of adding everything "just because we can".
  - Copy existing tool: Noted, makes sense
  - Working directory if empty: fixed
  - The leading triple slsahes are not wanted, need to do more QUrl voodoo
  - Auto quoting: Currently I use `KShell::splitArgs(m_tool->arguments)` to get a list that I can pass to the QProcess. I assumed that this is correct in mooooost of the cases. Do we really want to have manual work here? Where is your bug? ;)
  - ideas for later: git, select a branch: I don't have plans to extend a general purpose tool (external tools) into something that needs a lot of special handling. If you have a general purpose solution, fine, otherwise: wish rejected.

REPOSITORY
  R40 Kate