D16668: Remove document preview plugin: current technology harms workflow

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sun Nov 4 23:14:10 GMT 2018

kossebau added a comment.

  In D16668#354093 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D16668#354093>, @sars wrote:

  > I would like to give a -1 for removing the plugin I think that the feature is really something that has potential to be great!

  We surely all agree about the feature in theory. It's the current implementation which sucks (too much) and which thus I propose to withdraw.

  > Would the needed changes in KPart be big?

  From the short looks I had, this might need some more work (at least for me who is not that much into KXmlGui, where I suspect the real work is needed to reach flexibility with the app-global shortcuts registered for actions & Co). So far do not even have a rough idea how this could be approached
  In short: No idea ;)

  In D16668#354185 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D16668#354185>, @brauch wrote:

  > >> A solution might be to extend KXmlGui to somehow support such situations,
  > >>  and decide who owns the shortcut by looking at the focus.
  >
  > FWIW I have heard this idea several times over the last years from different directions, and I think a lot of applications would profit from having something like that.

  Chance is you also heard it often from me this year in multiple channels, every time when I was frustrated about having no instant idea how to fix it :P
  (e.g. also for the wanted-to-have shortcuts in the documentation toolview of KDevelop)

REPOSITORY
  R40 Kate