Remembering "tab setting" per file?

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Mon Jul 2 23:38:58 BST 2018

El dijous, 28 de juny de 2018, a les 16:04:03 CEST, Matthew Woehlke va
escriure:
> On 2018-06-27 17:23, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > I have this problem that the poppler files use an awful tab setting 2 soft
> > + 8 hard
> >
> > I wonder if it would make sense to remember the tab setting per file if
> > the
> > user manually set it.
> >
> > What do you think?
>
> I guess adding a modeline is not an option?
>
> Can you add a .kateconfig or .editorconfig alongside the file(s)? Either
> one can apply settings to a particular file type...

I could do those things even if they are very cumbersome because it means
polluting the git repo with either the file itself or with another line in
.gitignore (and the cumbersomeness of having to remember to not delete the
file because you will have to create one again)

But what is the reason to not do the right thing and remember it?

We remember the last line you were on a file when you edited it, because it
makes sense.

Remembering the tab setting you set for that file to me makes the same amount
of sense, so either both should be remembered or both should not.

Cheers,
  Albert