D7864: Basic support for PHP and Python fenced code blocks in Markdown

Volker Krause noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sun Feb 25 09:25:00 UTC 2018

vkrause added a comment.

  In D7864#213006 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D7864#213006>, @dhaumann wrote:

  > @vkrause Do you already have something in mind, when you say this does not scale? ...

  No concrete ideas yet, but mainly two observations:

  - when nesting a language you need to implement detecting the end of that code manually each time
  - you need to explicitly list all languages you want to nest, one by one

  The latter is ok if there is a limited amount of languages that can be nested in this context, but in case of markdown it's in theory every language we have.
  So a rule like `<NestLanguage syntax="<name or regexp capture>" end="<string|regexp>"/>` to do all the repeating work inside the engine might be interesting. We'd need to survey all current usages of nesting to see if that covers enough use-cases though, I haven't done that yet.

REPOSITORY
  R216 Syntax Highlighting