D17764: Allow creating empty file in filesystem browser

Alexey Bogdanenko noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Dec 24 07:43:17 GMT 2018

abogdanenko added a comment.

  I can see why you are confused. According to the documentation for Create New
  menu, we could expect empty file to be created.

  See The Konqueror Handbook. 3. Konqueror the File Manager. Create New <https://docs.kde.org/stable5/en/applications/konqueror/making.html>

  See also The Dolphin Handbook. Chapter 4. Command Reference <https://docs.kde.org/trunk5/en/applications/dolphin/command-reference.html>

    > Creates a new object (such as a folder or a text file) in the current
    > folder.
    >
    > You will find an explanation of all available objects in Konqueror's
    > handbook in the chapter Create New.

  However, this is not what we get, see
  KDE Neon > Dolphin > Create New > Text File: File not empty. • KDE Community Forums <https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=224&t=142366>.

  Current template is defined here
  https://phabricator.kde.org/source/kio/browse/master/src/new_file_templates/TextFile.txt
  (View as Hexdump) and referenced in desktop file here
  https://phabricator.kde.org/source/kio/browse/master/src/new_file_templates/TextFile.desktop.

  As far as I understand, on my computer running Debian testing the template is
  hard-coded into shared library shipped with libkf5kiofilewidgets5 package,
  so a user can't change the template.

  Anyway, here I'm not suggesting we change the template, we could discuss that
  separately. I'm merely asking to support user-defined templates like the one I
  published in a comment above.

  As a developer, I often create empty files in the same directory where the
  current open file is, so this feature is useful to me.

REPOSITORY
  R40 Kate