D14890: remove QSaveFile in favor of plain old file saving rational: for many use cases that e.g. have acls, complex other extended attributes, static links e.g. the rename() doesnt do the trick it should other ways would be start to add workarounds to...

Christoph Cullmann noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Thu Aug 16 21:38:31 BST 2018

cullmann added a comment.

  Actually, that the application crashs during that actions is highly unlikely, I can't remember any crash during save being reported in the last 5 years.
  The partition full is more ugly, that is true.
  (and in any case, for sure is direct writing more unsafe than the write in a copy)

  But I don't see that we will be able to workaround all the issues people face with the trivial save-as-copy and rename scheme we use.
  Actually having the wrong ACLs can be very bad if you have that in your network share and suddenly the rights change.
  Same for the static link stuff.
  I looked a bit how other editors handle that, but that is more or less very non-trivial (and I am not sure I have seen senseful handling on Windows).

REPOSITORY
  R39 KTextEditor