[Kwintv] kdetv hangs system

Zsolt Rizsanyi rizsanyi at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Nov 13 10:44:08 CET 2006

On Thursday 09 November 2006 13:16, Tomasz Samotyjak, IEn O/Gdańsk wrote:
> At beggining I'd like thank all programmers for writing kdetv. Great
> work. I've got one strange problem. All works fine. But on full screen
> mode kdetv hangs the system. It appears after several minutes of full
> screen mode working. The same situation is every time, when I'm using
> full screen mode. On other modes it's OK.
>
> Hardware: TV card Leadtek Winfast 2000XP (cxx8000), linux Fedora Core 6
> (distribution kernel), graphic card Ati Radeon 9200 Pro (only xorg ati
> driver, no fglrx).

I have a similar setup, but it runs without crashes. (Leadtek Winfast
2000XP, but bt878, Debian testing with 2.6.15, Ati Radeon 9200 with xorg
ati driver).

Which video plugin are you using in kdetv?
And what is your experience with other tv apps, eg. xawtv?

I just remembered that I had similar freezes a 4 years ago (with a
completely different hardware, but same tv card), when it usually happened
when watching tv and doing some intensive disc operations. It turned out
that the problem was with collisions on the DMA bus.
Here is the old thread detailing the problem and the solution:
http://www.mail-archive.com/video4linux-list%40listman.redhat.com/msg05298.html
You might want to try to set the latency to a low value on your tv card and
try that.
Of course this might not be related at all.

Regards,
Zsolt