[Kwintv] New to the list

Dirk Ziegelmeier dziegel at gmx.de
Sun Mar 27 20:08:44 CEST 2005

On Thursday 24 March 2005 03:38, Pedro de Carvalho Gomes wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My name is Pedro, I am from Brazil and I am a computer programmer,
> mostly using QT, C++ and Linux. I recently bought a Bt878 Video Capture
> and started to watch tv at my computer and my curiosity about tv capture
> raised.
>
> I would help at any of the TODO list, but first I would like to
> implement the support for Brazilian PAL-M system. TvTime already
> supports it, and it would be a great "first step". I could also do the
> translation to Brazilian Portuguese. I would like some help to start:
> good documentation (about KdeTv, kdelibs and video capture at Linux),
> programming tips, and so on.
Hello Pedro,

PAL-M should already work if you use the v4l2 plugin of 0.8.5 and your TV Card
driver supports PAL-M.

For the translations, contact your KDE i18n team (i18n.kde.org).

Documentation: I'd greatly appreciate some good documentation for kdetv. The
is no good "usage" and troubleshooting section in the manual, it would be
great if you could fill this gap.

Nice to hear you would like to hack on kdetv. If have some suggestions from
the TODO for a start:

- Screensaver shutdown is broken. App is just killed -> no audio muting ->
compilation disabled

You can try to find a way to get the screensaver working. Problem is, the
saver seems to be "killed" so it cannot mute audio on shutdown which makes it
unusable. Didn't really try to track it down.

- CC plugins needs fixup from someone who can actually try it out.

If you have closed captioning in your country (guess not), you can implement
better CC support for kdetv (Font size selection and so on)

- Easier reordering of channels in the channel list (D&D).

Would be nice.

- First startup wizard to set configuration.

Nice if you have some ideas, this is basically UI work.

- xmltv EPG plugin

Would be really cool. Display current/next program.

- Make kdetv KPart working and kdetv a shell that embeds it.

EMail me if you have any questions.