[Kwintv] re: Some proposals (2)

Dirk Ziegelmeier dziegel at gmx.de
Sun Feb 6 15:10:17 CET 2005

On Saturday 29 January 2005 21:35, Jeroen Verhoeckx wrote:
> You were talking about a frequency list. You mean the
> frequency list from UPC (Nederland 1 = 216.oo etc.)?
> I can give it to you, but yes, it's just for my
> region. You need a list for all the places in the
> Netherlands?
> Tell me how I can help.
No, this is not what I mean, what you describe would be a channel suite. I
mean the complete list of all frequencies allowed for TV in your area, no
matter whether there is really a station or not. Like the *.list files in
libkdetv/data.

> About my second proposal:
> I'll send you an image to your personal emailaddress
> (dziegel at gmx.de). This image shows the way I believe
> the channelnumbering should work.
> Please take a look at the image first.
> I hear you asking: Why the channelnumbering from the
> bottom of the screen to the top of the screen?
>
> Well.....
>
> When you install KDETV the first time, the program
> behaves like this:
> When you go one channel up with pressing the up-key on
> your keyboard, the highlighted channel moves up in
> numbering, but goes one down on your screen, it moves
> from the top of the screen to the bottom of the
> screen. This is in the opposite direction as you would
> expect!
> It's not just me, friends were also confused when they
> saw this.
You may be right that this is not intuitive at the first glance, but numbering
them bottom up is IMO way more unintuitive. Whenever you write a list by
hand, you order it from the lowest to the highest number. I think I won't
change it because I guess many more people would complain about the strange
list ordering. If you like, reconfigure your keys and mousewheel behaviour to
match the sidebar behaviour as your described in you mail.
The default shortcuts are IMO intuitive. Key UP means HIGHER channel number,
this is what I would expect.

But anyway, thank you for your ideas (even if I don't implement them all ;-) !

> About the size of the volume bar. Is it possible to
> give it a fixed size (f.e.80 pixels)? Because when you
> move it around the size changes from huge to very
> small. This is also the reason why I put it between
> the main toolbar and the view toolbar.
I could, but not fixing it has the advantage that the size scales with the
window size. It is uncommon to fix resizeable widgets to a fixed size.

> I forgot to tell you about two small bugs:
> Sometimes when I change a channel, the new channel
> doesn't give any sound. I have to switch few times
> between channels and go back to the one I wanted to go
> to and than it gives sound!
Difficult to say, I don't observe this. Can be a driver bug (does xawtv work?)
or a bug in kdetv that just does not occur on my box.
Can you comment out or remove the line "srcm->setMuted(muted)" in
libkdetv/volumecontroller.cpp, function doMute(). If it works now, your TV
card driver has a bug ;-)