[Kwintv] Re: Number error in KDETV

zeek z33k3369 at hotpop.com
Mon Oct 25 23:09:54 CEST 2004

Off topic for the list, but as a point of interest...and perhaps the
answer to your question...

When Broadcast TV started here in the US, there actually was a "Channel
1".  Actually, there were several allocations for Channel 1, and as it
was moved in the frequency spectrum the channels were renumbered.  The
final frequency spectrum for Channel 1 was space that was being used by
early FM radio.  Nobody could use that range immediately for TV since
there had to be time for the FM stations in that band to move to the
current band.  As a result, there was no TV broadcasting in that
"Channel 1", and the decision was made to reallocate that space to other
services, without renumbering the remaining channels.

Mike