[Kwintv] Some other issues

Dirk Ziegelmeier dziegel at gmx.de
Mon Mar 15 20:57:12 CET 2004

On Monday 15 March 2004 13:32, Andras Mantia wrote:
> - the whole screen is redrawn every time you change a channel, resulting in
> an annoying flicker.
Yes. Cannot be changed. The overlay draws straght into the graphics memory, no
matter whether there is the TV screen or a window bar. The flicker is a
window that is opened shortly and closed again to trigger a redraw.

> - with v4l/overlay101 works, but as I already said no transparency is
> supported.
Can't be.

> - v4l/grab+display, it works very stangely (or better does not work). I
> enter some number, but the searching is very slow, the update of the number
> looks something like: 150 -> 197-> 605->406 (totally random), and simply
> does not find the page (in my case page 100).
I notice this with 2.4.X kernels, too. Upgrading to 2.6.X solves it. I think
it comes from a very heavy usage of mutexes (grabber thread <-> GUI thread).
The 2.4 mutex implementation seems to be quite slow compared to 2.6...

> - teletext cannot be switched off in TV mode, as the RMB menu is not shown.
> You must use the system tray applet to have access to the menu, switch to
> normal mode and turn off tetelext.
I know, the teletext widget is above the TV widget, that's why the menu is
gone.

> An idea about XRANDR and resolution switching. I believe that the old mode
> of resolution switching changed the visible resolution, but the virtual
> resolution was unchanged, so the window manager basically did not detect
> any resolution change. Isn't it possible to change the resolution in XRANDR
> and leaving the virtual resolution at the same value as the original
> resolution was?
Yes this could solve the issue, but will create another: You need to center
the visible area of the tv screen on the monitor. Whenever the user moves the
mouse, he will move the visible window of the virtual screen, resulting in
the annoying effect of constantly moving the tv widget out of sight...
Overlay is simply broken and a hack when it's not done from inside the X
server (like XVIDEO does).