[Kwintv] Snapshots (no, not those kind...)

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Thu Mar 11 17:36:29 CET 2004

On Wednesday 10 March 2004 05:29, Michael Reiher wrote:
> I disagree. In fact its the only reason why qtvision isn't really usable
> for me at the moment.
>
> Many people I know have older hardware. They actually don't need better
> hardware for mostly writing texts or using the internet(even though Intel
> disagrees on that;). People are hardly upgrading their hardware just in
> order to watch TV. And that doesn't only concern slower machines. Even I,
> though having a sufficently fast machine, couldn't use anything but overlay
> just until recently, simply because my graphics card was not capable of it.
> Even if it is, think of recent onboard graphic chipsets. Their drivers
> might just not support what the chip is capable of.
>
> And the other thing is, overlay+vidmod switching is AFAICS the only way at
> the moment to get a sharp, smooth, fullscreen video stream(besides tvtime,
> which just has a horrible user interface). At last last time I checked
> qtvision. Thats the reason why I still use kwintv. The XV image has a bad
> image quality, probably due to the used deintelacing. Getting that right is
> probably not that easy. The only app that generates sufficently good
> results is dcsaler or tvtime, respectivly. Even there the image sometimes
> looks a bit coarse to me. The other problem is that the image stream is
> kinda jerky. There is no smooth stream. You can see it especially in fast
> scenes or banners, like at newschannels. Qtvision probably would have to
> use realtime priority, like tvtime does.

  Perhaps with XRANDR it will be better, but the old vidmode extension was
just plain aweful.  I don't buy that it was much better than just viewing a
smaller window, or using software or Xv scaling.  Anyway, the point remains
that QtVision is a far better application right now, and while some people
may need overlay, it is coming along nicely and is not by any means a
showstopper given that we have two other well functioning video modes.

  By the way, anyone interested in writing a freebsd plugin?

KDE Developer				http://www.kde.org/