[Kwintv] VIDIOCGUNIT and V4L plugin

Dirk Ziegelmeier dziegel at gmx.de
Sun Jan 18 20:38:18 CET 2004

On Sunday 18 January 2004 19:31, Neil Macvicar wrote:
> > Hey, very good, I just had a look at the v4l1 docs; I was wrong, the call
> > also exists in v4l v1. I think it would be good to have real
> > "autodetection".
>
> Good.. but it will involve me patching the BTTV driver as well, as
> VIDIOCGUNIT is not supported for some strange reason. It looks like I'll
> have to do some sort of branch on the V4L code to support old and new
> detection until the kernel tree gets updated.
Maybe not. If you do it the way I described in one of my last mails
(SIGNAL( vbiDeviceChanged(const QString&) for the sourcemanager), the vbi
plugin can use the current "autodetection" method, but if this signal is
emitted, it overrides the plugin's selection. Then all you have to do is
implement getVbiDeviceName() in the v4l plugin that must return QString::null
when the ioctl is not supported, and a setVbiDevice() for the
vbimanager/vbiplugin. The sourcemanager emits the signal whenever the device
is changed, except when getVbiDeviceName() returns an empty string.