[Kwintv] QtVision license

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Tue Jan 6 18:46:30 CET 2004

On Tuesday 06 January 2004 09:47, Dirk Ziegelmeier wrote:
> OK, I've changed the license of all files I wrote to LGPL.
>
> Remaining files to change:
>
> George:
> kxv.cpp/.h
> view.cpp/.h

All of my files must be as I described.  LGPL for the libraries, GPL for the
app.  Plugins are up to the author (and should not be changed).

> Kevin Hessels:
> channelwidgetimpl.cpp/.h
>
> channelwidgetimpl and devicewidgetimpl are based on Kevin's code, but were
> nearly completely rewritten by me, but I didn't change them yet. Kevin, do
> I get your permission to change the license?

   Technically anything other than LGPL for the library code is a "bug", but I
don't mind waiting for confirmation. :-)

> Thoughts: I think all plugins must be LGPL, too - they are linked _VIA_
> libqtvision to a client, so from a client's view they are "included" in
> libqtvision. So if we want to enable commercial clients to be written, they
> must be LGPL, too.

   No I don't think so.  LGPL permits linking by closed-source apps.  That's
one reason why libqtvision must be LGPL and not GPL.  KVideoIO will
eventually go to kdemultimedia I hope, which is another reason to LGPL that
library.

KDE Developer				http://www.kde.org/