[Kwintv] The road to beta1...

Dirk Ziegelmeier dziegel at gmx.de
Sun Jan 4 23:40:09 CET 2004

An updated qtvision known bugs/TODO list:

- Kernel 2.6 fixes: Check proper compilation for some more people. Does the
ALSA plugin work with the new 2.6. ALSA version?

- Timo Nentwig reported that the ALSA plugin looses it's config when two sound
cards are present.
-> Maybe no need to fix, there shouldn't be many people with two cards, but
I'll try to find it.

- CC plugin is broken and needs small fixups from someone who can try it
out (no CC in Germany). Should be very easy.

- v4l plugin consumes much CPU time and makes heavy use of Qt Library Mutex.
This has impact on the vbidecoder/teletext plugin, it is slowed down very
much. Maybe station name retrieval from VBI is also impacted (but works for
me).

- Mouse cursor hiding is broken again since main window is a KDockMainWindow.
After every popup of the elegant OSD, the mousecursor remains unhidden.

- video on desktop does not work properly for me. It is always "one repaint
event behind" when I use the XVIDEO plugin, this means I always see the
shadow of the last visible window on the tv background. V4L works OK, but
hides desktop icons until I click on them...

- Teletext plugin is painting VERY slow when toggeling transparency.
Transparency and repainting sometimes does not work correctly.

- Flickering (sometimes excessive) at startup or when changing view modes

- V4l plugin: no overlay at 16bpp; X11 + X11SHM video display method does not
work for me, it messes up colors; software video scaling is not implemented;
it crashes at startup when it is configured to use X11 method and X server
uses 24bpp (didn't investigate, crash happened at new[] in init())

- XVIDEO does not support snaphots

- channel DCOP interface does not always work, there are situations where two
channels can have the same name (import, scan) so the DCOP name is not set
correctly

- some other minor quirks I don't remember ATM

DONE:
-----

- No focus for TV Widget at startup.
DONE, but fixed at the cost of flickering at startup

- Toolbar configuration fixes.
FIXME Config action removed for now until it works correctly.

Conclusion:
-----------

Thinking again, I was too optimistic. There are still several bugs that can
only be fixed by DESIGN.

The v4l plugin is still quite buggy. Maybe it needs to be designed in a
different way, I think the continuous locking between the main app and the
grabber has a bad performance hit.

George, should we fix more before releasing a beta? A beta may create the
impression that version 1.0 is somewhere in the near future. Maybe we should
rather call it alpha2.

I'll start to make CVS snapshots available from time to time, Stefan will put
the link on the homepage in a few days. They will be located at
http://dziegel.free.fr . Maybe this attracts users and (hopefully)
developers.