[Kwintv] Finetuning

Karl-Heinz Zimmer khz at kde.org
Mon Oct 27 13:47:07 CET 2003

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 16:50:00 +0100, Dirk Ziegelmeier wrote:
(...)
> I've implemented finetuning if a frequency range is scanned.
> Unfortunately, it is only possible to figure out whether there
> is a signal or not, but not the signal strength.
> Therefore, I determine the frequency range where there is a signal
> and use the the upper 3/4 point as the result (e.g. the station is
> receivable from 130 to 134 MHz, so I use 133 MHz as result). This
> works "satisfactory" (!= good) for me in Germany. Can someone in
> another country try and report, please? Is there a better way than
> this? Or should it be removed?

To me this feature sounds like a good idea.

Might it be further improved by adding a Fine Tune dialog allowing
the user to try to optimize the used frequency by offering her a
slider covering the range of the found frequencies?

e.g. for a station that was found in the range from 130 to 134 MHz
you would have a slider allowing to adjust your signal in exactly
this range: so you could very precisely find the point of the best
signal quality - by manually moving the slider in this narrow range.

> There is another problem. If the user chooses a small frequency
> increment, stations are found multiple times. Should this be
> fixed?
> If, how? Use a fixed increment?

I have no idea, sorry.

Karl-Heinz
--
Karl-Heinz Zimmer, Senior Software Engineer, Klarälvdalens Datakonsult AB
<mailto:khz at klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se>            <mailto:khz at kde.org>