[Kwintv] Channel Import/Export patch

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Wed Oct 1 05:26:47 CEST 2003

On Monday 29 September 2003 01:51, Dirk Ziegelmeier wrote:
> At 05:46 29.09.2003, you wrote:
> >On Sunday 28 September 2003 16:51, Dirk Ziegelmeier wrote:
> >   If we can get a proper rewrite+redesign of the V4L driver maybe we can
> > cut a beta release soon.  Don't underestimate the amount of work this is
> > though.
>
> George, can you please clean up the LAUNDRY and the other TODO files? I'd

  I think the LAUNDRY file is up to date, and it contains basically the urgent
TODOs.  (Things that have to be done in order to make a good release.)

  With respect to who is working on things, well, consider them all open for
the taker. :-)

> like to know the open points so I can select my next work.
> Additionally, can you recommend me something to read about v4l and what to
> do if I want a v4l widget? I have never programmed v4l, clipping, ...

   Well the v4l stuff in cvs is usable, just the plugin is not.  The problem
is that we need a guaranteed frame rate and mixing the Xlib, v4l and Qt calls
and event loops was not providing that.  It was too slow.  We need to move
the v4l code out of process or come up with something more clever.
Effectively the plugin that is there *works*, it just doesn't work well
enough to use.

KDE Developer				http://www.kde.org/