[Kwintv] Odd Problem

Dirk Ziegelmeier dirk at ziegelmeier.net
Sun Nov 23 21:14:48 CET 2003

On Sunday 23 November 2003 20:16, Adam Pigg wrote:
> at the end it had names for Border TV and Channel 4, but not BBC1 or
> BBC2....and i guess there wont be name for the sky channel :)
hmmm... sounds a little bit poor. In Germany, it finds more than 3/4 of the
names automatically. Maybe the stations in UK often don't broadcast that much
info...

> When configuring the plugin i couldnt see a way to enter the vbi device,
> whicj is why i had to create the symlink.
There is a drop-down box to select the vbi device. There is an entry there for
every /dev/vbiX and for /dev/vbi that can be found. All you should have had
to do is to select the correct one. Didn't the plugin find the possible
devices?

> Which is the best combination to use...v4l or xv+vbi...what are the
> differences between the 2 plugins, i there is no crash on resize with the
> xv plugin.
Best is XV + vbi, they are both stable and don't crash (disclaimer: on my
box ;-) )
The difference is that the XV plugin uses the XServer abstaction for video
input which is fast and relatively easy to program. But the XServer doesn't
expose the full functionality of video4linux. This is why we need the vbi
plugin for to scan channels if XV is selected, there is no way to determine
whether a station is tuned via XVIDEO. v4l is the generally most desirable
and powerful way for Linux video display, but noone has the time or knowledge
to make the plugin work correctly.

Ciao,

Dirk Ziegelmeier * dirk at ziegelmeier.net * http://www.ziegelmeier.net