[Kwintv] LAUNDRY: libzvbi autoconf check

Neil Macvicar kwintv@mail.kde.org
Thu, 27 Mar 2003 22:58:36 +0000

I had a look at cleaning this bit of laundry, and discovered that although the
header file libzvbi.h contains defines for MAJOR,MINOR,MICRO, the compiled
library has no symbol for discovering it's version. This of course leads to
the following:

1. What is broken in the versions of libzvbi that we want to discard ? Is it
containable within the header, i.e a function prototype change, new
functionality, or an actual code feature ? If it's a code feature, the only
way to check for a version of libzvbi that we can rely upon at the moment is
to do a compile-run-fail test.

2. If the reasoning for this check is library code based, I'll ask the
maintainer of libzvbi to commit a patch that includes the libraries version
in the symbol table somewhere. This is more sane, and avoids header/library
versioning mismatches.

Regards,
Neil.