[Kwintv] Channel format plugins questions

Dirk Ziegelmeier dirk at ziegelmeier.net
Tue Jul 29 23:28:14 CEST 2003

Hi,

the purpose of the channel format plugins is not completely clear to me.

- Are there seriously people wo use two TV programs such that they want to
share config files between those programs? If so, how often is there a need
to reconfigure the channels? In Germany, we have about 35 cable TV channels,
a change to one or two of them occurs once in about every two years. I
personally can live with reconfiguring two apps every two years.

- Common channel plugins would only make sense if they contain absolutely the
same information. The more plugins we have, the smaller the common base. What
if we want to store channels per device? Do all other apps support that? Our
private XML format does.

- What is CSV format good for? It's less flexible than XML and does not offer
any more functionality. If there is no other program using it, I suggest
removal.

- I think the channel storage shouldn't be a plugin. We should use XML, it the
most flexible. What we should have is a menu like Channels->Import->[xawtv,
zapping, kwintv], but I think we have no need to be able to save these
configs.

Background: I've posted a change that adds a property to channels (source)
that makes adoption of all plugins necessary. I've patched csv and xml, but
George asked me to patch the other as well. This is a major pain for me since
I have none of the other apps installed, and I know that at least the old
kwintv doesn't compile on my box.

Please don't get me wrong, I don't want to sound harsh, it's just that these
changes are a lot of work for me and I doubt that anyone is really interested
in having them. This is why I would like to know the reasons why we have and
maintain these features.

Ciao,

Dirk Ziegelmeier * dirk at ziegelmeier.net * http://www.ziegelmeier.net