[Kwintv] Naming Summary

Rizsanyi Zsolt kwintv@mail.kde.org
Sat, 1 Feb 2003 13:47:05 +0100

On Saturday 01 February 2003 00:47, Trond Peter wrote:
> On Friday 31 January 2003 21:13, George Staikos wrote:
> > It seems like "ktv" or "kdetv" are the two that don't have real problems
> > with them right now.  They're fairly popular too.  I think amongst the
> > active developers we will decide between these two.  If anyone has
> > serious objections, please respond to the list.
> >
> > They also have the bonus of being short to type. :)
>
> kVision gets my vote.
>
> kVision is adequate because:
> - 'vision' is a covering word
> - the leading 'k' indicates a KDE app
> - it's easy to pronounce, and easy to remember
>
> 'ktv' (or anything with 'tv' in it) is misleading because this app can do
> far more than just display tv, as pointed out earlier.

Hmm. This is a very weak argument. Yes it can do much than tv (what probably
means only webcam), but it is designed to do TV. Eg. tuner support and
channel setting and the like only applies to TV.

Besides if the name does not have TV in it then nobody will know what it is
about.

On Saturday 01 February 2003 09:40, Stefan Hellwig wrote:
> Really? I got the impression that "kVision" was much more popular than the
> two you mentioned?!... Anyhow, "kVision" would get my vote as well.

George did not say that ktv or kdetv are the most popular ones. He said that
the others are not appropriate (do not have problems).

As I said I think it is very important to have tv in the name.

Regards
Zsolt