[Kwintv] sound won't turn off

darwin Meredith conan1m at peoplepc.com
Tue Aug 19 14:21:44 CEST 2003

I have ati all in wonder ve tv card. I am using suse
8.2. When I exit kwintv the sound won't turn off. When
I reboot my computer it the sound of the speakers come
on. I did some research in the archieves and found the
reason. Here it is,
 "The problem with TV sound starting with KDE is caused
by v4l loading from /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.  v4l is
on.  If I remove the "Load" sound only starts when I
load bttv...  Of course, this isn't really helpful as
v4l is required for QTVision...  My guess is that the
bttv driver initializes the tv decoder chip on the card
expecting the tuner, tvaudio, msp3400 or videodev
module to deal with the sound (mute it).
The TV-Wonder-VE, and perhaps the WinTV card has
problems with the audio.  The card doesn't do it's own
volume control.  The volume and muting is done through
the Line-In rather than TV controls of the
mixer."

I haven't tried QTVision yet. I belive I will have the
same problem.
I saw something about entering "load v4l" line into
XF86Config. Will I need to run a script? AI am a newbie
at linux.

Thanks,

Darwin