[Kwintv] Comments on latest qtvision

Rizsanyi Zsolt kwintv@mail.kde.org
Fri, 25 Oct 2002 00:50:47 +0200

On Thursday 24 October 2002 22:40, George Staikos wrote:
> On Thursday October 24 2002 15:39, Rizsanyi Zsolt wrote:
> > >   I wish I could see this with my own eyes :)
> >
> > Maybe you should implement snapshot functionality :)
> >
> > Hmm. Maybe its PAL specific. Are you able to try PAL?
>
>    I'm getting very close to having snapshots.  I am actually thinking that
> maybe it is LCD related though.  Do you use an LCD display?

No I dont have LCD :(
A Matrox G450 card with XFree 4.2 (Redhat 7.3) on a CRT monitor.

>    And no I don't have PAL here.  If someone wants to send me a PAL capable
> DVD player and some PAL dvds I would gladly test PAL too though. :-)

I have no dvd player to spare :(

> > >    I forgot to check if I was the owner here.  Oops. :)
> >
> > Ok. It fixed it.
>
>    Great!
>
> > But here is a wish: It would be nice if we could change from xvideo to
> > v4l on the fly (meaning without restarting qtvision, just by selecting
> > Change Source). It is possible to change to xvideo from v4l, but the v4l
> > source only shows up if only that plugin is on, and only on startup.
>
>    There is a bit of a snag here, and I think it's not really necessary to
> work around:
>
>    When you open a device with one plugin or the other, it remains open and
> locked.  Thus when we re-probe, we find that the old device is no longer
> available.  We can't assume that it still is because it might have been
> physically removed from the system.  If we close the old device every time
> the change source dialog is opened, I suspect people will become rather
> annoyed.  It's a lose-lose situation in my eyes.
>
>    The real question is, why would anyone want to use the same v4l device
> from both v4l-direct and v4l-xv-bridge?  This is more for development
> purposes. After that, the device will be either v4l or Xv, but not both.

Yes you are right.
Why I asked for this was that when you try to record under zapping it
automatically changes to v4l mode, and you can easily switch back when you
are done with it. (if I understand it correctly you can not do recording with
xvideo).
But then you know that the user wants to switch driver, so that case is
different.

Regards
Zsolt