[Kwintv] Still scaling problems.

George Staikos kwintv@mail.kde.org
Tue, 15 Oct 2002 15:28:47 -0400

On Tuesday October 15 2002 15:05, Michael Kedl wrote:
> Ok...
>
> 1) I had to reinstall Xfree off the RH8 CDs after that fiasco
> 2) I tried the latest DRI stuff but couldnt get it to start X
> 3) I am finally back where I was...
> 4) How does that port stuff work?  I assumed that the scaling was being
> done in hardware to speed things up.  how do these "ports" work?

  Ports are basically "XVideo devices".  Xv assigns a port for a specific
functionality.  For instance, backend scaling (what the video card does to
draw YUV etc images quickly, scale them quickly, etc) is assigned to a
specific port.  Video input is a different task and assigned a different
port.  If you had two video cards, you would see a couple of scaler ports
probably.  (I haven't seen this but I can only assume).  In general it's all
done underneath the hood.  "xvinfo" will show you how it has allocated
things, and our KXv code does system calls to get the same info.