[Kwintv] (no subject)

John Campbell kwintv@mail.kde.org
Sun, 24 Nov 2002 20:36:14 -0800

On Friday 22 November 2002 12:35 am, George Staikos wrote:

>    Hm well this could get more complicated.  V4L2 stuff is still rather=
 new
> and I don't know what's out there.  I do know that Mandrake was using v=
4l2
> before it was in the kernel.  It's quite possible that having the two
> present make things incompatible I guess.

I've been looking through the two websites for v4l, bytsex.org/v4l2 and=20
thedirks.org/v4l2.  Looks like the bytesex.org is the more recent and upd=
ated=20
version.  Looks like the author changed support pages and left the commen=
t=20
pointing to his old site.

It looks like there was a major rewrite of v4l2 at about kernel v2.4.18. =
 What=20
you have seems to be pre-rewrite, what's on Mandrake is post re-write.

There's a note on the website to the effect that the new code is not sour=
ce or=20
binary compatible with the old.  There's a version number attached to the=
 new=20
code that didn't exist in the old code, so you can check against it:

--videodev2.h --

#define V4L2_MAJOR_VERSION      0
#define V4L2_MINOR_VERSION      20