[Kwintv] Those with the ripping effect

Rizsanyi Zsolt kwintv@mail.kde.org
Wed, 13 Nov 2002 03:55:58 +0100

On Wednesday 13 November 2002 03:08, George Staikos wrote:
> On Tuesday November 12 2002 20:37, Rizsanyi Zsolt wrote:
> > On Tuesday 12 November 2002 05:06, George Staikos wrote:
> > > If you experience the ripping effect, can you please try updating from
> > > cvs? I just committed a change that may or may not help.  I'm wondering
> > > how it changes things for you, if at all.
> >
> > I would be happily testing your patch, but I have changed my motherboard
> > to one with ALI chipset (Asus a7a133), and now both qtvision both xawtv
> > crashes when tries to show the picture.
> > So I cant test it till this problem is fixed. BTW do you know any
> > solution to this problem? I have seen a query posted about this on lkml,
> > but have not seen any response.
>
>   That's no good!  Hmmm.  (I have no luck with ALi chipsets btw - they
> frustrate me to no end)
>
>   Well most likely the problem is in the bttv driver but I'm sure you
> already guessed that.  What does the qtvision backtrace look like when it
> crashes?

I have not been precise. When I try to run qtvision or xawtv my X server
freezes and I have no way to get any log or backtrace, just to restart.
I will try to ssh in from a different machine to see if really the X server
crashes, or it is an kernel oops, but I will have to do some setup before.

>   And does the Xv driver work?

No. The Xv driver crashed. So I have not even tried v4l. I suspect that this
is a kernel issue.

Thanks for your help
Zsolt