[Kwintv] Mixer Volume Bar

George Staikos kwintv@mail.kde.org
Thu, 19 Dec 2002 11:05:06 -0500

On Wednesday 18 December 2002 23:31, Neil Macvicar wrote:
> I've seen some discussion on the mixer volume bar, and would like to float
> this idea to the list for discussion. Some TV cards support stereo and
> surround sound audio. In these cases, it would be nice to offer control
> over all audio channels, rather than unconditionally coupling them
> together. Can we devise an acceptable way to display possibly 5 mixer bars
> ?

   I'm very skeptical that this can be done cleanly, but of course you are
free to try and send some patches/screenshots.  I would prefer emulating the
behaviour of a TV more closely though.  Most stereos or TVs would have a
balance to adjust the left<->right levels in stereo, and a single volume
control.  For surround....   I don't think I've ever seen such a control but
I would recommend keeping this in the form of a front-back fade, or just
leaving it to kmix.

But give it a try if you're interested.  Maybe you can come up with something
nice.