[Kwintv] Re: [announce] xine aRts plugin 0.3-beta

George Staikos kwintv@mail.kde.org
Sun, 21 Apr 2002 19:49:03 -0400

On April 21, 2002 05:39, Martin Vogt wrote:

> > > xine.Arts currently does not know anything about video or images.
> > >
> > > With the Arts::Image / Video extension we like to change this.
> >
> >     We are slowly developing an Xv and V4L library in KWinTV (the
> > rewrite) as well.  Is it worth making this a common library?
>
> It was my intention to port KWinTV to the new image library.
> There should be a common Video renderer for KDE.
> I currently do not know the V4L interfaces, but I assume
> its enough to pass V4L a pointer to an xv surface.
> So I expect no big problems here.

   Don't port the old kwintv.  It's not worth it.  We're rewriting...  I agree
that we should have all of this code in a common library.  Moritz Wenk is
also working on the V4L code.  We have some working interfaces that we like
and already partially work.  Please have a look in kdenonbeta/kwintv3/ for an
example.  IIRC the Xv interface is in there too.  These are all functionally
incomplete, but they represent several iterations of redesign.  Do they work
with an arts design philosophy also?

   It would be cool for arts to support the mpeg hardware extension of v4l
too.  We won't be supporting it in kwintv [yet], but I see kde pvrs on the
horizon....