Konqueror not interacting correctly with activities

Stefano Crocco stefano.crocco at alice.it
Sun Oct 8 17:16:58 BST 2023

Hello to everyone,
I'm the current Konqueror maintainer and I'm trying to make Konqueror work
correctly with activities, as it did in the past.

The problem seems to have appeared when Konqueror moved from the "one process
per window" model to the "single process with multiple windows" model. After
this switch, a user reported that Konqueror doesn't interact correctly with
activities; in particular, when stopping an activity, windows existing only in
that activity aren't deleted, but just hidden.

I tried to implement a system which stores information about which activity
windows are on, then using the signals provided by KActivities::Consumer to
delete and restore them as needed (see [1]). This seemed to work correctly,
except in a few corner cases where empty windows keep appearing.

To find out what was happening in these special cases, I looked at the source
code for activities in KWin and in the activity manager and I noticed that, if
I understood the code correctly, there's no reason activities shouldn't work
with a single process, multiple windows application. Can you confirm whether
this is correct? If so, could you please give me some advice on how best to go
on investigating what Konqueror is doing wrong in this regard?

Please, CC me in any answer, as I'm not subscribed to this list.

Thanks in advance

Stefano

[1] https://invent.kde.org/network/konqueror/-/merge_requests/199