External monitors as "desktops"

Joshua J. Kugler joshua at joshuakugler.com
Fri Feb 25 22:54:37 GMT 2022

On Monday, February 21, 2022 2:31:43 AM AKST Thomas Lübking wrote:
> Am Mon, Feb 21, 2022 at 10:28:42AM +0200 schrieb Vlad Zahorodnii:
> >On 2/18/22 22:28, Joshua J. Kugler wrote:
> >>Is there a way in kwin/plasma to make an external monitor its own
> >>"desktop?" That is, when you hit "ctrl-tab" to change desktops, that
> >>monitor does not change its display?  Similar to the way Mac (can)
> >>handles external displays.>
> >At the moment, kwin does not support per monitor virtual desktops, but
> >there was an attempt to fix that.
>
> I major obstacle will be that this isn't covered by the NETWM spec and
> you'll have issues reporting the current virtual desktop or treating
> requests to move or move windows there.
> So the implementation would probably have to exist aside that concept
> and then is just some way to manage the mapping state of windows on the
> current (in doubt only) virtual desktop.

As much as I would like to see KDE implement this, I'd much rather the spec
amended  than KDE break the spec and break interoperability with other apps
and desktops.

Is there a ticket/proposal in front of the the Freedesktop group to add
something like this? If not, how would one go about requesting?

Joshua J. Kugler -- Fairbanks, AK
Blogs: http://jjncj.com/blog/ (Family) -- http://joshuakugler.com (Geek)
Philippians 2:9-11