Compile error with latest master

Martin Flöser mgraesslin at kde.org
Tue Apr 26 20:04:56 BST 2022

Am Dienstag, 26. April 2022, 13:35:29 CEST schrieb Vlad Zahorodnii:
> On 4/26/22 14:30, Vlad Zahorodnii wrote:
> > On 4/25/22 10:24, Martin Flöser wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I tried to compile latest KWin master yesterday, but I'm hitting a
> >> compile
> >> error I do not understand. CMake does not complain about anything
> >> missing.
> >>
> >> [714/2304] Building CXX object src/wayland/CMakeFiles/
> >> WaylandProtocols_xml.dir/qwayland-server-wayland.cpp.o
> >> FAILED: src/wayland/CMakeFiles/WaylandProtocols_xml.dir/qwayland-server-
> >> wayland.cpp.o <snip>
> >> In file included from
> >> /home/martin/build/kwin/src/wayland/qwayland-server-
> >> wayland.cpp:4:
> >> /home/martin/build/kwin/src/wayland/qwayland-server-wayland.h:8:10: fatal
> >> error: wayland-wayland-server-protocol.h: No such file or directory
> >>      8 | #include "wayland-wayland-server-protocol.h"
> >>        |          ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> >> compilation terminated.
> >>
> >> I get several of those includes not found.
> >>
> >> Any hints on what is missing?
> >
> > It looks like extra-cmake-modules is out date. Make sure you have
> > https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/extra-cmake-modules/-/commit/e4dbfb219c0
> > dbb6d3d6b888a8a0d964da50595e8
> We should bump KF MIN VERSION to 5.94 however it won't help if you
> rebuilt extra-cmake-modules a week or two ago.

+1, not only because of ecm, but also due to commits
3324400672948d9d375ebbb25bbfbc133e159764 and
719e97194d4864345439b53ce95e2bfd47f10e6f which also make KWin fail to build
with older libraries.

As a nowadays rather spare time developer I must say that it is really difficult
to try to build KWin master. Literally every time I update, it doesn't compile
because it depends on too new stuff not yet packaged in Neon. I actually only
use Neon to have all the latest dependencies. The merge request I created was
not based on the latest master due to latest master not building at that time
for me.

Basically with limited time most of the time I have for hacking goes on trying
to get the thing build. If I would try to track everything using kdesrc-build
I would even have less time for hacking. It's not really motivating me to hack
on KWin if I have two hours of time and think I'll probably spend 1.5 h to get
the thing building again and the next time slot will be one week later and the
thing repeats.

It's just some feedback I want to give to think about whether the development
process currently makes it difficult to contribute. I'm seeing this now from a
quite different perspective as when I had more time for KWin.

Cheers
Martin