Kwin Maintainers Approval for Rounding Bottom Corners

Martin Flöser mgraesslin at kde.org
Mon Jun 28 10:25:23 BST 2021

Am Samstag, 26. Juni 2021, 00:25:29 CEST schrieb Aleix Pol:
> Are you sure this is something that needs tackling at KWin level? if KWin
> cuts down there's the possibility that an app might get cut off. An
> application (e
> g. at kirigami level) could decide though to have round corners by offering
> a transparent mask. Would that be more in line with what you are after?

I absolutely agree with Aleix here. This is nothing a window manager should
do. This can break applications in horrible and unexpected ways. Please do not
go down this route. We do not know what the application draws and how it
interacts with the window - where there are controls, etc.

Just imagine a video application without borders and you cut off pixels or a
virtual machine where the virtualized operating system is not square.

If you want to do design, please do it in parts of your design. Don't force it
on apps which are not controlled by us. And if we do it only for our
controlled apps the better place to implement it, is in the apps or Breeze
style.

Cheers
Martin