Kwin Maintainers Approval for Rounding Bottom Corners

Niccolò Venerandi of KDE niccolo.venerandi at kde.org
Fri Jun 25 22:17:23 BST 2021

Hi,
I'd like to ask approval for a patch rounding the bottom corner of the
windows by a fixed size of 3 pixels. I'm not the one working out the
technical details, but one possibility is to create a kwin effect to do
that, that the user would be able to disable.
I understand that there's skepticism regarding this proposal in kwin, but
this is something that's very important for the VDG. I've done a quick
informal poll and there's a wide consensus that this is the right path
forward (something like 20 people for it and 4 people against); and the
most proficient VDG members and designers are strongly for it (I'm thinking
Nate, Manuel, Pontaoski, ...), with pretty much all of our design style
mockups featuring them.
In the Breeze Redesign phabricator task we also had some first contributors
tune in and give their positive feedback about it (I'm thinking
abstractdevelop, michaldybczak, ...). There are also many feature requests
for this in the forums I moderate, like r/kde (1
<https://www.reddit.com/r/kde/comments/jairyp/suggestion_window_corner_radius_consistency/>
2
<https://www.reddit.com/r/kde/comments/g1mlig/a_bunch_of_suggestions_and_feedback_part_2/>
3
<https://www.reddit.com/r/kde/comments/fdad38/best_method_for_rounded_corners/>
4 <https://www.reddit.com/r/unixporn/comments/7ycmrj/kde_rounded_corners/>)
and others (1
<https://askubuntu.com/questions/1228507/is-it-possible-to-have-rounded-window-corners-in-kubuntu-18-04>
2
<https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthread.php/71905-Crop-bottom-corners-of-the-window-to-make-rounded-rectangle>
and I could go on).
I'll add that I understand the principle argument against this of window
manager not having rights to interfere with windows; but as many have
pointed out in the VDG chat, it's extremely unlikely that removing 5/6
pixels in the corner will impact the user experience of any application, as
it's too little space to put controls in there and it's barely noticeable
when consuming content. The issue is thus purely theoretical, but in
practise it rarely (or never) arises.
Given the above, I'd please ask you to consider this VDG request and allow
us to add such effect by default, but with the option of being turned off
by the user.
Niccolò