RFC: Sunsetting XRender backend

Vlad Zahorodnii vlad.zahorodnii at kde.org
Tue Jun 8 16:39:43 BST 2021

Hi,

The Xrender backend was added at the time when OpenGL drivers were not
particularly known for being rock solid stable. So, having Xrender
render backend as fallback did make a lot of sense back then. Nowadays
though, it's not the case. OpenGL render backend has been the default
one for many years. It's quite stable, and it allows implementing more
features, e.g. wobbly windows effect, etc. Given that, the Xrender
render backend is in a bitrotten state now. Many features are not tested
with it; the only time when it gets noticed is when changes in other
parts of kwin break build in the xrender backend.

Another issue is that we would like to provide better integration
between kwin's scene graph and qtquick's scene graph. QtQuick doesn't
support and most likely will never support Xrender. This poses a problem
as we would like to provide native thumbnail item support in qtquick and
re-implement effects such as desktop grid and present windows using QML.

Given the bitrotten state, our focus being shifted towards wayland, and
no native Xrender support in qtquick, I propose to remove the xrender
backend. Thoughts?

Cheers,
Vlad