About some old and hard to maintain effects

Martin Flöser mgraesslin at kde.org
Tue Jun 1 13:45:48 BST 2021

Am Dienstag, 1. Juni 2021, 12:58:42 CEST schrieb Tom:
> On Monday, 31 May 2021 10:53:58 CEST Vlad Zahorodnii wrote:
> > The effects that we would like to drop are
> >
> > * coverswitch
> > * cube
> > * cubeslide
> > * flipswitch
>
> So, I wanted to go and check them.
>
> The result is that they all have big UX issues. Like assuming 4
> virtual desktops and only one monitor. Or no animation in the
> case of flipping through windows in flipswitch.

That's acutally not the case. I spent literally weeks on making these effects
work with one, two and three screens. That it's only shown on one screen is
because everything else looked very weird.

And cube supports more than 4 virtual desktops, it supports everything from 2
to 20. Cube-slide rotates based on the layout of the virtual desktop and
always in shortest way.

The quality of the code is ok-ish based on how often I had to touch them to fix
things. We have effects with worse problems and constant breakage (I'm looking
at you, LookingGlas).

Cheers
Martin