D28152: [RFC] KWinRules KCM Redesign

Ismael Asensio noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sat Mar 21 12:47:27 GMT 2020

iasensio added a comment.

  First of all, thanks @broulik for such a thorough review and feedback!

  About some of your many UI comments, I've already implemented some, while I'm torn on some others, but will leave it to you VDG people decide.

  > - Do rules have a certain priority order, I don't really see why one would need to re-arrange them? Though the old KCM also had that, so I guess there's a reason to it

  AFAIK, the order affects when a window can be affected by a more general and a more specific rule, but I also don't know the details

  > - I think the list view should have an edit button? I hovered an item and instinctively clicked on the "export" button, thinking it would edit the rule, but one can just click the entire delegate. I found this confusing.

  I had had doubts about the edit button vs clicking, but agree:
  F8191084: Screenshot_20200321_131408.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F8191084>

  > - Generally we use regular buttons rather than tool buttons below the view for "New"

  Here I feel that the non-flat buttons can give a more "busy" feeling when close to the KCM buttons, while flat ones make it more clean, but I'm not strong against it:
  F8191090: Screenshot_20200321_130927.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F8191090>
  F8191091: Screenshot_20200321_132006.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F8191091>

  > - The "detect window properties" button is somewhat giant

  Agree.
  F8191093: Screenshot_20200321_125202.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F8191093>

  > - We generally don't use switches in UI

  I know. In this case I think a checkbox is out of the question visually and semantically, so an alternative can be the yes/no radio buttons like in the old KCM. I still slightly prefer the switch, but the radios doesn't look that bad either.
   F8191103: Screenshot_20200321_125352.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F8191103>
  F8191104: Screenshot_20200321_125917.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F8191104>

  > (Sorry I only came halfway through with code review now)

  No rush, lucky me, since now there is no place where I can run and hide 😄