D27861: WIP: Rework xdg-shell implementation

Anthony Fieroni noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Thu Mar 19 08:07:28 GMT 2020

anthonyfieroni added a comment.

  > Because KWayland is a KF library,
  >  we are not able to change existing API in ways that may break API or
  >  ABI compatibility. So, if some particular wrapper has been implemented
  >  incorrectly, we can't do that much about it except maybe leaving
  >  comments that look like "// TODO KF6".

  My 2 cents on this, that's normal implementation dependant situation in library, so about me it has 2 approaches:

  1. Always adds new required implementation in new class, then port existing users on it, leave orphaned classes to be removed
  2. To not break API/ABI it can be added a constructor by dependency injection the new implementation. It's a bit tricky, KTextEditor uses it, but it's not that bad.

  Returning implementation to the client can be good if it's not expected any other client(s) to use it, if not that's not good.