D27439: Replaced isDock check with !hasDecoration

Niccolò Venerandi noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sun Mar 15 09:49:18 GMT 2020

niccolove added a comment.

  > Ideally, if two windows are placed side by side, no pixels from one window should bleed to the other one

  I disagree here, because moving the window by just 1px (so that they overlap) would change the blur area a lot. If that happens every time you move a transparent area over a sharp border, you will get flickering (click on the rectangle, it's a gif):
  F8176945: wrongblur-2020-03-15_10.36.10.gif <https://phabricator.kde.org/F8176945>

  > problem at its roots

  So I don't think there's a problem at the root. The fact is that //moving windows should not blur ONLY underneath//, because it would cause the visual glitches shown in the gif above when they are moved. My reasoning was "then, let's only apply the special blur to windows //that can't be moved// by the user" and in my mind, those were the windows without decorations. And that's why I though noDecoration windows were special: they can't be moved by the user, so they can get the special blur. That said: if you think that all moving windows should instead only blur underneath, then that's a very easy patch and I can do it, it would solve my problem. But it would cause the visual glitches shown in the gif above.

  If you instead want me to find a better target than "no decoration" for the special blur, then I can find some better rules such as "only plasma windows" or "only plasma windows with no decorations" or "only windows that are touching but not overlapping a panel". Please feel free to tell me which way to go forward - I know you already said "tackle the problem at its roots", but I don't agree it's a problem since it would be instead wrong to make moving windows only blur underneath.