D26311: Handle output logical size changes

Roman Gilg noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Thu Jan 2 22:49:23 GMT 2020

romangg added a comment.

  In D26311#586689 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D26311#586689>, @davidedmundson wrote:

  > Forget 2 outputs, this spec falls apart on simple scenarios.
  >
  > I have a 1920x1080 monitor, I want it cropped to 1000x1000 physical pixels that represent 1000x1000 logical pixels
  >  I have a 1920x1080 monitor, I want it cropped to 1000x1000 physical pixels that represent 500x500 logical pixels
  >
  > we can't do either.

  And I don't want to do either.

  > The main thing this spec is trying to add (as opposed to just using scale) is the ability to crop, yet the spec only supports one possible case where you want to crop in one direction and scale to fit even though the code supports something more versatile.

  What theoretically is possible is irrelevant for what I want to do with the spec in the next release. I don't need a generic spec to support all kind of output crops, but a very limited one to replicate one output onto another one where the picture is stretched and the aspect ratio preserved. I assume we won't need anything else in the future. If I'm wrong and we do, we can replace the protocol with a v2.

  Either explain better why it is necessary to have this more versatile and what exactly do you think needs to be done for that (Replacing the setLogicalSize function with setVirtualMode? Having both?) or live with the less versatile approach in the meantime.

INLINE COMMENTS

> davidedmundson wrote in egl_gbm_backend.cpp:366
> By passing just a logical size, the scale value is effectively broken, which is a problem as we rely on it here.

Yes, I forgot to replace the scale usage here two times.