Splitting KWayland

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Tue Apr 28 15:31:36 BST 2020

On Mon, Apr 27, 2020 at 2:57 PM Aleix Pol <aleixpol at kde.org> wrote:

> Hi,
> As discussed in the meeting last week, I've been looking into the split.
>
> Here's what I was thinking of, please tell me if there's something
> massively important I'm missing.
>
> The idea would be to start working on it after kwayland and other kf5
> have been tagged next week (?).
>
> Something I was wondering too is that I guess the new repos should end
> up in invent? Although neither plasma or kf5 are there.
> So maybe not?
>
> There's a couple of questions below as well, thoughts would be welcome
>
> Aleix
>
> git clone kde:kwayland
> mv kwayland plasma-wayland-protocols
> cd plasma-wayland-protocols
> git rm -r autotests/ docs/ tests/ src/
> # fix build
> # close https://phabricator.kde.org/T13024
>
> git clone kde:kwayland
> mv kwayland/ kwayland-server
> git rm -r src/client/
> # namespace KWayland::Server -> namespace KWaylandServer
> # fix build
> # remove server tests?
> # see to move things to KWin?
> # close https://phabricator.kde.org/T13025
>
> git clone kde:kwayland
> # deprecate all KWayland::Server
> # remove server tests?

Here's an implementation of above:
https://invent.kde.org/apol/plasma-wayland-protocols
https://invent.kde.org/apol/kwayland-server

My suggestion as next steps is to turn these into proper KDE
repositories in its own right soon and develop master kwin and plasma
overall against these.

When 5.19 needs releasing, then the wayland protocol would be included in KF5.

Can someone take a look and tell me if it's what they expected? If so
I'll proceed to request the repositories and start talking to the
different stakeholders.

Aleix