On Screencasting

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Wed Apr 22 14:00:29 BST 2020

On Wed, Apr 22, 2020 at 12:50 PM Aleix Pol <aleixpol at kde.org> wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm sending this e-mail to hopefully simplify a bit the review process
> of this new protocol that I understand is a bit boring.
>
> kwayland: https://phabricator.kde.org/D28882
> kwin: https://phabricator.kde.org/D29015
> xdg-desktop-portal-kde: https://phabricator.kde.org/D28884

I've had a quick overview. It all looks sensible.

> There's 3 parts but it's basically code moving from xdp-kde to kwin
> and a kwayland protocol to orchestrate it.
>
> Something we might want to discuss is if it makes sense to put the
> kwayland bit into a separate repo as it only interacts with plasma
> components and we don't want ABI restrictions.

Let's have it with the IRC discussion tomorrow as per that long ML thread.

> Other than that it's mostly a code simplification as is. Then we
> probably will want to do more work on the kwin side adding support for
> streaming windows and optimise the process, but I wouldn't do it at
> this stage.

Obviously it makes sense to move then modify, as you're doing now but
I would really like to make sure we're ready with the DMA Buf
exporting as the priority above the window stuff.

It's this stack change that allows us to simplify moving the code in
here without breaking MF's original goals about not doing the blit in
the compositor.

David