On showing windows where the users want them, on wayland

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Fri Apr 17 13:59:29 BST 2020

I'm sure I've mentioned this in another thread, but just to reiterate.

The big challenge of layer_shell client side is hooking into Qt.

 - We need to not have another role (XdgShell) assigned. I think this
is doable with setting the BypassWindowCompositor flag, but we need to
check.

 - We need to attach the buffer only after we've had our shell
configured (and I'm not sure there's a public hook for this)

 - For the panel case we need the dialogs and tooltips to be XdgPopups
parented to the LayerShell..which is going to be super hard.

Doing the kwin side is still valid as we can support 3rd party clients.

David