D23514: [platforms/x11] Never block on retrace, always present after paint

Vlad Zahorodnii noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Thu Oct 24 09:21:54 BST 2019

zzag added a comment.

  In D23514#553048 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D23514#553048>, @romangg wrote:

  > You know that the show fps effect is not a benchmark, right? I mean it says so just below it.

  I know that, however it should not display such low numbers when there is only one static [1] client open.

  This patch intends to move `present()` from `prepareRenderingFrame()` to `endRenderingFrame()`, but it also introduces a few undesired side-effects, which should be addressed either here or in the follow-up patches. The frame rate drop is a pretty serious issue. Waiting the whole vblank interval will cause the time span during which kwin records rendering commands to drift, which may introduce undesired stuttering. The other problem is that rendering is no longer synchronized to vblank, it basically means that our timings are off.

  [1] Meaning it's not frequently updated