D24281: Add default shortcut to switch to the desktop to the left/right/top/bottom

Thiago Sueto noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Fri Oct 4 13:46:45 BST 2019

thiagosueto added a comment.

  In D24281#541955 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D24281#541955>, @romangg wrote:

  > We don't need to copy other systems all the time. We can establish our own patterns when it makes sense.

  I agree. I fear it might be too niche, but on the other hand, this might make Plasma more interesting for gamers.

  > And as long as we do that in a holistic way, i.e. not through singular patches without overall plan changing one default at a time.

  Yes, this sort of keyboard shortcut must be decided on a later date, me thinks.
  My bad though: I mentioned it makes sense, but this statement is empty without justification. I was envisioning something like:

  - Meta+arrow = snapping windows
  - Meta+Ctrl+arrow = switch to VD (because it changes where you start managing windows)
  - Meta+Shift+arrow = move window between screens (because the window gets transferred)
  - Meta+Alt+arrow = change focus between windows (because it changes their state)

  This should be discussed and counterpoints should be made though. For instance:

  > Also I don't like overloading the arrow keys with functionality such that you need to remember unrelated modifier keys for when does it what.

  This is my fear as well.