D21948: [colorcorrection] Add "Constant" mode

Roman Gilg noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Thu Jun 27 19:19:41 BST 2019

romangg added a comment.

  In D21948#487391 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D21948#487391>, @zzag wrote:

  > While I agree that splitting the night color manager into two entities makes sense, the requested changes are orthogonal to changes this patch introduces.

  How are they orthogonal? You want constant color temperature adjustment independent of time and I tell you that's not a part of Night Color, because Night Color as the name says deals with a specific time of day: night, which is time dependent and not constant throughout day. That you have to add several conditionals to turn off timers is just one sign that a constant mode is misplaced here.

  > No matter how you turn it, we need a switch to turn on/off the constant mode.

  First off, I turn nothing. I'm neither in a defensive position nor am I trying to engage in sophistries. And reading your sentence it is still not clear to me why we "need" a switch.

  > Generic color correction manager should only deal with setting 1D/3D LUTs (3D LUTs is a topic for another discussion), gamma, and so on. Screen color temperature is night color manager's abstraction.

  Color temperature is a notion independent of Night Color. Yes, generic color correction shouldn't deal with it //in KWin//, but it's probably a good idea to expose some slider to ui in plasma-desktop next to other sliders for contrast, brightness and so on. Then compute gamma ramps out of it as we do in KWin for Night Color, send these ramps to KWin and further process them here in the "generic color correction manager" as gamma ramps and not as color temperature value.

  And LUTs from my understanding make sense for color management or professional grading. The goal for us is at the moment to just support some simple color correction that 95% of users can understand. That can be done with simple mathematical operations on the gamma ramps in plasma-desktop, then these ramps being sent to KWin. And advanced users could still edit the ramps manually in config files.

  There is a task for color/gamma correction already open for a long time: T4465 <https://phabricator.kde.org/T4465>. It contains some more information, which you can enhance or directly work on the task. We should have also discussed the idea of the proposed change in there beforehand.