D24281: Add default shortcut to switch to the desktop to the left/right/top/bottom

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Dec 23 18:48:23 GMT 2019

ngraham added a comment.

  Roman, I greatly respect and admire your technical skills, but I can't condone the attitude you're taking here. You aren't the KWin maintainer. This is a community process, and you do not get veto power. You don't get to "make strategic decisions" when you aren't the maintainer--especially when nobody likes your decision. That's not being a leader, it's being a bully.

  Nobody likes your Meta+WASD idea and you have not proposed any alternatives, yet you are blocking this change (with authority you seem to believe you have, but in fact do not have) out of hope that something better will organically appear with more discussion.

  But that isn't likely to happen, because KWin is not the kind of open and friendly project where innovation is possible. The attitude you've taken in the discussion for this patch is an example of why KWin is seen as a conservative, change-averse, and user-hostile project. The my-way-or-the-highway attitude actively discourages innovation and creativity, and instead contributes to people dreading submitting KWin patches due to foreknowledge of what a grueling, exhausting experience it will be. Those with the courage to try at all will go for the (perceived) least controversial change to avoid conflict rather than proposing anything bold, sweeping, or innovative.

  If you want more innovation in KWin, then help make KWin a more friendly and welcoming project by being open to other people's ideas and proposals, accepting when the majority disagrees with you, and acknowledging that you won't always get your way. KWin is a KDE project; it belongs to all of us. We can't lose sight of that.

  If you don't like this change, then propose something better and gain people's support for it. If you can't do that, then maybe it's time to listen to other people and accept the imperfect but acceptable change in this patch. It's not my favorite solution either, but I think it's better than nothing, and nobody has come up with anything better so far. IMO it's better then waiting for a perfect alternative that isn't likely to materialize.