D24281: Add default shortcut to switch to the desktop to the left/right/top/bottom

Thiago Sueto noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Dec 23 16:54:16 GMT 2019

thiagosueto added a comment.

  In D24281#582168 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D24281#582168>, @romangg wrote:

  > I am sorry for the strain that puts onto OP but we have at the moment a tendency in KWin (and in my opinion overall Plasma) to go for the least exceptional solution and instead just aim for already elsewhere established, crowd-pleasing, convenient ones.

  A counter-argument to this: Meta+Ctrl is **not** a common standard in Windows as it is inconsistent, whereas in Plasma it could be more consistent. See: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12445/windows-keyboard-shortcuts

  - Windows 10 was the one to introduce Virtual Desktops and the only one which includes keyboard shortcuts for it, and it clearly shows when you consider the Meta key is used for different system functionality with no apparent consistency
    - Windows+B changes focus to notification area, Windows+E opens an application, namely Explorer, Windows+H initiates an accessibility feature, namely dictation
    - Windows+Ctrl+F searches for PCs in a network, Windows+Ctrl+Enter turns on narrator, Windows+Ctrl+Q runs an application named Quick Assist
    - Windows+Shift+C opens the side menu, Windows+Shift+M restores minimized windows, Windows+Shift+Left/Right moves windows between monitors
  - Windows uses a 1D environment, Plasma uses a 2D/3D environment
    - Because there are more actions available on Plasma pertaining to 2D and 3D environments, Plasma has the advantage of assigning this specific semantic meaning to arrow keys; Windows cannot
  - The only virtual-desktop-related keyboard shortcuts are the two for moving between virtual desktops; there exists no keyboard shortcuts for common actions like move window to VD, which means they're unique to Linux/OSX

  If we assume that the arrow keys being overloaded with meaning according to the modifier used is the least problematic solution possible, this would mean Meta+Ctrl can have proper/optimal/decent usage on Plasma which it cannot in Windows, despite the fact Windows had it first, and so it does not function as a mere copy. While individually the keyboard shortcut would be taken from Windows, the resulting set of navigation keyboard shortcuts in its entirety would not be a copy, it would be original.

  That is: if the logic behind using Meta+Ctrl is

    (we want a consistent set of navigation keyboard shortcuts) -> (we use Meta+Ctrl for moving between VDs) = (it is the better choice, hence we use it)

  then it cannot be

    (Windows 10 uses Meta+Ctrl for moving between VDs) -> (we use Meta+Ctrl for moving between VDs) = (we use it just because, and then we work around that)

  Hence why my earlier proposal explicitly included the whole set for navigation (Meta, Meta+Alt, Meta+Ctrl, Meta+Shift) and why I recently made a table on T11520 <https://phabricator.kde.org/T11520> for choosing the whole set based on Meta.